Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bad Books

Talking about Stephanopoulos in that last post reminded me that his book about his time in the Clinton administration, All Too Human, was possibly the worst book I've ever finished.

I was assigned it, once upon a time, and aside from being hilariously self-sycophantic (yes, I wouldn't have believed that was possible either) it was in general so poorly written that it was a slow struggle just to finish each page. During the long slog through, I literally thought I might have some kind of a brain disorder that was erasing my ability to read. I thought there was no way a book could be pseudo-high-brow fluff, airport bookstore fodder, while at the same time having syntax and sentence construction subtly impervious to speedy absorbtion.

Turns out I was wrong: it wasn't me, it was him. But then, that's usually the case, isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Oz. This begs a question about a "bad books list," some sort of compendium that achieves the dubious "lower left corner" distinction of books that are both awful in content as well as awful in construct. Something to consider ...

~ Capt.

blighter said...

While I agree that the compilation of such a list would potentially be an interesting and worthwhile endeavor, Capt., I, for one, have not actually made it through enough books that I would relegate to such reaches to make much of a list out of it.

Furthermore, I sincerely hope to have never read enough such books to make a very long list of it.

If you envision it as something of a group project, feel free to suggest one to get the ball rolling and we'll see where it goes...