Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I remember when...

Here's a Times article about newcomers to New York learning the ropes and morphing into New Yorkers: the warning signs, how long it takes, how it feels, etc.

New York feels like home to me now, though I don't think I could say exactly how long that's been true. It hits me most prominently when driving back into the city over a bridge from the airport and seeing the skyline lit up. Just love it.

As I say, I don't remember the first time that New York first felt like home but I do remember the first time a city other than my hometown felt like home. It was when I was living in Boston and I was taking a cab home from the airport and saw the city lit up -- not as impressive as NYC, btw, at least to my mind now -- and felt good that I was headed home. It was a weird but good feeling.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

welcome home! hope FL was great.