Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I'll tumble for ya... I'll tumble for ya...

So the Dow is down again today, nearly 8%.

We are living in utter chaos. Up 11% Monday, steady Tues, down 8% Wed. Madness.

What I'm wondering now is how long it takes until this fades into the background and is no longer panic inducing?

I'm paying, perhaps, particular attention, over and above my usual, due to the limbo my various housing situations are in. (fn1) So maybe the dread pit in my stomach that has lived there almost continuously for the last couple of months is just my own unique cross to bear. But I think not.

On the other hand, if there's anything I feel certain of about Human Nature it is humanity's nearly inexhaustible capacity to become used to anything. So now I'm wondering how long it is until chaotic markets and an impending economic collapse just becomes "the way it is" and is no more bother than any other ongoing tragedy of our world.

Honestly, if it goes like this much longer, a collapse will be a relief if only as an end to the anticipation.

(fn1) It's a long, long story. Suffice to say we're now moving on a rental as negotiations seem to have reached the end on the place we couldn't buy. "What negotiations?", you might be asking if you'd heard about our board rejection. That, dear friends, is why it's a long, long story. But for now, at least, I theoretically am moving on two fronts. And the market is tumbling. (fn2) And my stomach is not loving life.

(fn2) The word "tumble" always puts me in mind of the Boy George song "I'll tumble for you". Good song.

No comments: